Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Applying for Financial Aid
*Please ensure that you are completing the correct FAFSA for the term for which you are applying for Financial Aid.
STEP 1- The student should obtain a PIN number that will act as the electronic signature on the FAFSA.
STEP 2- If you are providing parent information on the FAFSA, one parent must also obtain a PIN number. To determine if parental information is required and whose information should be provided on the FAFSA, click here
STEP 3- Student completes and submits the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
• ASU’s school code is 002906.
• Be sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool which allows you to link to the IRS from the FAFSA and retrieve tax information directly from the IRS to populate the FAFSA tax return questions. Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool will simplify the FAFSA filing and may result in quicker processing of your financial aid, especially if you are selected for verification.
STEP 4- Student receives a Student Aid Report (SAR) either by email or by U.S. mail.
The SAR is an outline of your answers on the FAFSA with important comments and status of your filing. If you have not received the SAR within a few weeks from the date of filing or if you would like to check the status of the filing, you may use any of these options:
• Check the status of a submitted FAFSA.
• The toll-free phone number for automated response is 800-433-3243.
• The toll number to speak with a person is 319-337-5665.
STEP 5- Student reviews SAR, acting on comments and making any necessary corrections by going to Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA.
STEP 6- Schools listed on the FAFSA receive the student’s data.
• If additional documents are needed, you will be notified via email to your ASU email account.
• You can view additional documents needed by logging onto your AppalNet account and clicking on “Financial Aid.”
• STEP 7- The Office of Student Financial Aid will award financial aid to the student, if eligible.
STEP 8- Student will respond to the award, accepting or declining offered aid.
• You should accept or decline your aid by logging into your AppalNet account.
STEP 9- Student and/or parent will complete associated paperwork or online applications required for accepted aid.
STEP 10- Aid should be ready to be disbursed at the appropriate times. For more information on financial aid disbursement, please read the Financial Aid Terms and Conditions.
Also See: I've filed the FAFSA... Now what?
*Please read the materials available on your AppalNet account and on this site thoroughly. Contact us afterwards if you have any questions.