2012-2013 Federal Direct PLUS Loans
2012-2013 Federal Direct PLUS Loan Instructions
Parent Borrowers Please Read All of This Information Carefully
If you have any difficulty completing the Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note contact the Direct Loan Applicant Services at (800) 557-7394.
Discuss with your student whether or not you wish to accept the offer of the Federal Direct PLUS Loan. If you wish to apply for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan, have your student accept the offer on their AppalNet account. To understand more about a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, interest rates, credit check, and endorser alternative go to Applying for Direct Loans. Once the decision to apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan has been made, you will need to do the following:
1. Decide which parent will be applying for the Federal PLUS Loan. The following steps must be completed by the SAME PARENT. The parent applying for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan must have a Federal Student Aid PIN number* in order to complete steps 5-7. (*This is the same PIN that you use to electronically sign the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with your student. If you do not have a Federal Student Aid PIN, visit the Federal Student Aid PIN web site.)
2. Complete the 2012-2013 Federal Direct PLUS Loan Request Form and return it to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
3. Go to studentloans.gov. This is the official Federal Direct Loan website.
5. Sign in at studentloans.gov using your Federal Student Aid PIN. This is the same PIN that you use to electronically sign the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with your student. If you do not have a Federal Student Aid PIN, visit the Federal Student Aid PIN web site.
6. Once you are signed in with your PIN, select Complete MPN under the Master Promissory Note section and then select Parent PLUS to begin the credit check and application processes.
7. Complete the entire Federal Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) process confirming that you have completed all steps. Note that the parent borrower completing the MPN must be the same parent who submitted the 2012-2013 Federal Direct PLUS Loan Request Form.
8. The Federal Direct Loan program will complete a credit check. Once your Federal Direct PLUS Loan MPN has been processed and the credit check is approved, the Federal Direct Loan program will notify the ASU Office of Student Financial Aid that the Federal Direct PLUS Loan is approved. You, the borrower, will be notified as well. Print your confirmation and disclosure notice for your records.
9. If your Federal Direct PLUS Loan is denied because of the credit check, then you may still be eligible to re-apply using an endorser (co-signer). If applicable, information about this option will be sent to you from the Federal Direct Loan Program.
10. If you are unable to secure a PLUS loan, then your student may be eligible for an additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan of up to $4,000 or $5,000 depending upon the student’s grade level and provided that the student has not already borrowed the annual or aggregate loan limits. The Office of Student Financial Aid will receive the notice of denial automatically from the Federal Direct Loan program, and an offer of this loan will be made to your student.