FINANCIAL AID FOR STUDY ABROAD
Did You Know That Your Financial Aid Can Travel With You?
The majority of ASU financial aid and most scholarships can still apply to semester and year-long study abroad programs. Exchange study abroad programs during the fall or spring semesters can be very affordable. Typically, for summer study abroad, the type of aid available for students to study abroad will be in the form of loans.
Early planning for study abroad helps you make cost-effective decisions and allows you to prepare finances through saving, scholarships, and financial aid. Securing your financial aid for study abroad is a process that requires working with several offices. Be advised that you should be totally engaged in the process from start to finish. Early planning at least 6 months to a year will greatly lessen any challenges you may face.
Steps To Receiving Financial Aid For Studying Abroad:
2. Tentatively select your study abroad program
3. Contact your Financial Aid Counselor for loan eligibility in order to decide whether or not to commit to the study abroad
4. Once decided, print the Study Abroad Agreement Form ( see below) to fill out and return to the Office of Student Financial Aid by the Deadline for your program. This will also give you extended information about using financial aid for studying abroad.
5. If your program is a semester/year or summer-non faculty led program, visit the International Student Exchange and Study Abroad Department in the Office of International Education and Development to be sure you have turned in all that is necessary for that office to provide the Office of Student Financial Aid with the program information for your study abroad.
6. Depending on the type of program you are taking and your current loan status, accepting loan offers for your program may be accomplished either by accepting aid through your Appalnet account, by a loan increase form sent to you by email, or by a combination of both. The Study Abroad Counselor will contact you by email to let you know the method.
7. Generally, you should receive your financial aid on your student account several days prior to the start of your study abroad classes. Student Accounts can then begin the process of any possible refund you may be receiving.
Study Abroad Agreement Form For Financial Aid
Students wishing to have financial aid for classes that are registered within the Fall Semester or Spring Semester (full semester, partial semester, or short term study abroad) will need to print the following form and turn it in according to dates below. Additional & important information concerning the use of financial aid for studying abroad will also print for your reference.
Students wishing to have financial aid for classes that are registered in Summer ( Full Semester or Faculty-Led programs) will need to print the following form and turn it in according to the dates below. If taking additional classes during ASU's Summer School, you will list those classes on this Summer Study Abroad Agreement form and will not turn in a separate Summer School Financial Aid Application. Additional & important information concerning the use of financial aid for studying abroad will also print for your reference.
Promptly return all forms requested by the Office of Student Financial Aid: fax to (828) 262-2585, drop off at the Office of Student Financial Aid, John E. Thomas Hall, room 265, or mail to:
The Office of Student Financial Aid
Attention Study Abroad
ASU Box 32059
Boone, NC 28608-2059
Financial Aid Lead Times
To be able to receive an offer of financial aid for studying abroad, the student will need to turn in the Study Abroad Agreement Form and any other documentation requested by the Study Abroad Financial Aid Counselor to the Office of Student Financial Aid by:
|Semester:||Documents Received By:||Financial Aid Award By:|
|Fall Semester||May 15th||July 15th|
|Fall Faculty Led (including Dec/Jan Break)||October 1st||November 1st|
|Spring Semester||Jan. Departure: October 1st||November 15th|
|Spring Semester||Later Departure: November 1st||January 5th|
|Spring Faculty-Led||February 1st||March 1st|
|Summer Semester or Faculty-Led||February 15th||April 15th|
The Office Of International Education and Development will also need to have furnished the Office of Student Financial Aid the complete and final information on the student's program, including course registration for the student by the appropriate above dates.