Title IV Authorization

Title IV funds are federal student aid funds, which are from federal student aid programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education. The U.S. Department of Education regulations only allow schools to use your Federal Student Aid to pay for current academic year institutional charges.   However, you can allow the use of surplus financial aid to pay for non-allowable charges that may be on your account.  

Allowable Charges:

  • Tuition
  • Mandatory Fees
  • Room and Board

Examples of Non-allowable fees:

  • Parking fines
  • Health service/lab fees
  • Library fines
  • Late fees
  • Health insurance

Students can authorize the use of Title IV funds to help cover these expense and also authorize to pay up to $200 from a prior academic year with their financial aid through thier AppalNet account.  



Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do If I change my mind and update my Title IV Authorization?

Your authorization is valid for as long as you are enrolled at Appalachian, so you wont need to update it for future semesters, but if you do need to change it for any reason you can email our office (financialaid@appstate.edu) from your student account and we can update it for you. Changing your Title IV authorization cannot be done retroactively.  

Will selecting yes, mean that you will keep my refund?

No, your refund will still be yours and we'll release it to you at the begining of the semester, but if you happen to have a charge on your account when we issue your refund we can pay that on your behalf with your surplus funds.  

Where do I go on my AppalNet account to authorize my Title IV aid?

  1. Log into your AppalNet Account
  2. Select the "Financial aid tab"
  3. Select "My Eligibility"
  4.  Choose the correct aid year
  5.  Answer the 2 questions regarding Title IV Authorization on your account and click "Submit Information"

What are Federal Student Aid Funds?

  • Pell Grant
  • FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)
  • Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

What if I do not allow authorization of Title IV funds to pay for miscelaneous charges?

If you do not grant authorization, your federal financial aid and loans cannot be used to pay for charges other than tuition, fees, University housing and meal plans and any excess aid will be refunded to you. Therefore, you may receive a refund and may simultaneously be sent a bill for any charges that could not be paid with your Title IV aid. Receiving a refund does not indicate that there are no pending charges on your account.