Step 1: Apply for admission to Appalachian State University
Step 2: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Priority filing date is December 1st. Students who complete the FAFSA by the priority date are given first consideration for need-based assistance. Students should submit their FAFSA and any other requested information as early as possible in order to optimize aid eligibility.
- ASU's school code is 002906
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval tool on the income section
Step 3: Review Student Aid Report (SAR) received by email
- Make any necessary corrections by selecting "Make a correction"
- If you do not receive your SAR within several weeks, contact the CPS at 1-800-433-3243 or 319-337-5665 to check the status of your application
Step 4: Review AppalNet account for additional requirements or missing documents.
- We may need additional documentation to complete your application such as verification of Selective Service Registration, income information, or confirmation of independent student status.
- This user guide (PDF, 577 KB) shows you how to find requirement information on AppalNet.
- This user guide (PDF, 625 KB) shows you how to grant Parent Access to your financial aid portal.
Important: if you do not see a Financial Aid tab on your AppalNet account and it has been 3 weeks or more since you completed the FAFSA then there are potential issues:
- The App State school code (002906) was not entered on the FAFSA
- Your Social Security number or Birthdate was missing from or incorrect on your Admissions application, and is therefore missing or incorrect on your student record. These two items must match your FAFSA before it can be processed.