Please read all of this information carefully. If you have any difficulty completing the Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note contact Direct Loan Applicant Services at (800) 848-0979.
Finalizing Your Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan
1. Accept the offer of the Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan on your AppalNet account. Questions about different types of loans or your borrowing terms? Click Here.
2. After you accept your loan offer, you have 2 requirements (see Steps 4 & 5 below) to complete in order to receive your loan. Go to StudentAid.Gov to continue.
3. Sign in using your FSA ID and password. This is the same information that you use to electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Lost your info? Go to https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
4. New Borrowers are required to complete Entrance Counseling before loan funding will be released.
5. All student borrowers must complete the Master Promissory Note for a subsidized and/or unsubsidized loan.
Two Ways to Navigate to your MPN:
a. From StudentAid.Gov, click on the "Complete Aid Process" tab and use the link posted under Step 04 that reads "Sign Loan Agreement".
b. Click here for the direct link --> https://studentaid.gov/app/launchMpn.action
6. After completing the MPN, print your confirmation and disclosure notice for your records. The Office of Student Financial Aid will receive an electronic notification when you have accepted your loan offers on your AppalNET account and successfully completed your requirements at StudentAid.Gov. If you have accepted your loans but not completed your StudentAid.Gov requirements (or vice-versa) then our office will not be notified.
7. Students are highly encouraged to proactively manage their loans and stay aware of repayment and consolidation opportunities. Learn about managing your loans by clicking here.
8. You are also encouraged to review all of your FFEL Program Loan and Direct Loan data at studentaid.gov on a regular basis.
Exit counseling should be completed within 30 days prior to graduation or within 30 days after dropping below 6 hours of enrollment.
This link will direct you to the studentloans.gov website. You will need to log in to this site using your FAFSA pin number, Social Security number, date of birth and last name. Once logged in click the link on the left to "Complete Counseling".
*Please note that it may take up to 5 business days to update the Entrance/Exit Counseling requirement as satisfied on your financial aid record.*