In order to maintain eligibility for federal, state, and institutional financial aid, a student must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward the completion of a degree or a teaching certificate.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) has 3 components:
- Qualitative. All students must maintain good academic standing based on the standards prescribed in Appalachian State University’s Graduate Bulletin and Undergraduate Bulletin (http://bulletin.appstate.edu/), as applicable.
- Aggregate. Total attempted hours should not exceed 150% of the published length of your degree program.
- Quantitative. You must earn credit in at least 67% of your attempted credit hours for the degree program.
- 2020-21 Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (PDF, 223KB).
- 2021-22 Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (PDF, 174KB)
Satisfactory Academic Progress appeals are submitted through our secure portal, Student Forms. To set up your StudentForms account through AppalNet, follow these instructions. Learn how to upload documents here.
If your first appeal was denied and you would like to appeal again, please meet with a financial aid counselor to discuss next steps.